Email or call for price
Out of Print
Trek across the salt flats, scale the towering rocks, and explore the marble canyons of this otherworldly landscape with Moon Death Valley National Park. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible, strategic itineraries, ranging from one day in the park to a week-long trip, designed for day-hikers, road-trippers, outdoor adventurers, history buffs, and more
- The top experiences and unique ideas for exploring Death Valley: Hike through forested trails to sweeping canyon views, and discover abandoned mining camps, remote ghost towns, and hidden springs. Go four-wheeling in rugged backcountry, or cruise along Badwater Basin Road to check out iconic sights like the Devil's Golf Course, Artist's Drive, and Zabriskie Point. Admire surreal salt flats, ethereal rock formations, colorful mosaic stone, and sculpted sand dunes, and find the best vistas for that perfect sunset photo-op
- Practical tips for hiking, four-wheel driving, camping, and other recreation, plus information on the right gear to pack for the desert
- Detailed hike descriptions with mileage, elevation gains, difficulty ratings, and trailhead directions
- Honest advice from Death Valley expert Jenna Blough on when to go and where to stay, whether you're pitching the tent, parking the RV, or bedding down at a hotel
- Up-to-date information on park fees, passes, and reservations, plus strategies for getting to Death Valley National Park
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Coverage of gateway towns and excursions beyond the park, including the John Muir Wilderness, the Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge, and the Trona Pinnacles
- Recommendations for families, seniors, international visitors, and travelers with disabilities
- Thorough background on Death Valley's wildlife, terrain, culture, and history
Exploring more of the West? Try Moon California Road Trip, Moon Palm Springs & Joshua Tree or Moon Nevada.
For full coverage of America's national parks, check out Moon USA National Parks: The Complete Guide to All 59 National Parks.
About the Author
Jenna Blough grew up on the edge of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, where she was allowed to run wild, instilling a love of the outdoors early on. After her parents dragged her and her sister on a cross-country road trip of epic proportions (visiting American classics like Wall Drug in South Dakota, Mesa Verde in Colorado, and the Petrified Forest in Arizona) she developed an equal appreciation for Wild West roadside attractions, historic sites, and wilderness.
Jenna eventually found the California desert to be her geographic soul mate. Drawn by the austere beauty of Death Valley, she is fascinated by its cultural history, ghost towns, native sites, and the Mojave's shifting landscape.
Jenna received an undergraduate degree in cultural anthropology, an MA in English literature, and an MFA in writing. When she's not living out of a tent, Jenna resides in Los Angeles with her husband Ryan Jones. Visit her blog at www.whentheroadends.com.