Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
Giant sequoias are some of the few things on earth that can literally be described as awesome. For many, spending time among the largest living things on the planet is a highlight of their lives. The knowledge packed into this slim book will unlock the secrets of these trees and make any visit to Yosemite's three groves even more rewarding. Ancient Sentinels provides bountiful information in a compact format, including:
- maps of the Mariposa Grove, Merced Grove, and Tuolumne Grove;
- what to do and see in the groves;
- description, size, and age of the giant sequoia;
- ecology and life history of the giant sequoia;
- other places in the park where sequoias can be found;
- a comparison with the sequoia's closest relatives, the coast and dawn redwoods;
- and the history and future of this amazing species.
About the Author
Dr. H. Thomas Harvey was a professor of ecology at San Jose State University and pioneering wetlands ecologist. As part of a team that studied the giant sequoia for ten years in the 1970s, he helped revolutionize forest management for giant sequoia groves. Bill Kuhn is a plant ecologist who led a recent study to survey and assess the ecological conditions of Yosemite's three giant sequoia groves. Pete Devine has worked in Yosemite National Park more than 25 years and is the Resident Naturalist for Yosemite Conservancy.